Harry gets put in the Triwizard Tournament
With dragons, and mermaids
Oh no! Edward Cullen [Cedric Diggory] gets slayed
He's back [Voldemort]
Harry had a big argument with Ron when Moody (who we later find out was actually Crouch junior) put Harry's name into the goblet of fire so he would be in the Triwizard tournament. At the time, many had thought Harry managed to put his name in there, but Harry told him he didn't know how he got nominated. Voldemort did all this just to get Harry's blood in the end and try to kill him, but I think it was way over complicated. Here was the plan from Crouch, Pettigrew, and Voldemort.
- Break into Moody's house
- Trap Moody in a magical drawer for an entire school year
- Make polyjuice potion constantly so Crouch can look like Moody
- Put Harry's name in the Goblet of Fire
- Teach classes all year (nobody even noticed he was teaching everyone illegal curses, or if they did they didn't stop it)
- Make sure Harry knows about the dragons
- Make sure Harry eats gillyweed and survives the underwater challenge
- Turn the trophy into a portkey that will take Harry to Voldemort and Pettigrew
- Make sure Harry gets to the portkey first so you have to take out every person and make sure Harry doesn't run into any monsters
- Harry gets to Voldemort
- Tie him to a grave
- Take his blood
- Battle him
- Lose (this wasn't part of the plan)
I mean, Voldemort could have come back to life with anyone else's blood (who was an enemy) but he wanted Harry's because it would make him stronger than regular blood. That kind of makes sense. However, fake Moody was around Harry all year. Couldn't Moody have just turned something in his office into a portkey and make Harry touch it? Unless Voldemort wasn't strong enough. Still, he could have done something right after the competition. That way there wouldn't be a ton of people watching, he could make it look like an accident or play innocent, and they wouldn't know a thing. Plus, when Harry returned from battling, he would still be trapped in Moody's office. That plan just makes a lot more sense than this complicated mess.
Everyone starts going into action after this, but it turns out decent in the end, and Rita Skeeter, who ruined so many reputations, is trapped by Hermione because she is a beetle animals, and is basically blackmailed by Hermione. Ta Da! This is the last book of 2017 that I read.